Saturday, June 21, 2008

The LORD is my Shepherd

Many people have memorized Psalms the 23rd chapter. It is put on door posts, in works of art, repeated in the theater for dramatic effect. Yet for all these things, I wonder... Do people really take to heart what it means?

Today after the church service, after I finished the fellowship meal, I sat down in the sanctuary to ponder these precious words.With them, a sense of relief showered over me; I felt that it would be beneficial to share these thoughts with you. Taking it in bit by bit, I was richly blessed.

This passage describes the state of those who surrender all aspects of their lives to God and His leading. I pray that it will be the experience of you all.


1. The LORD my God, the Ruler of the Universe, Creator of the Heavens and the Earth and all in them, Redeemer of the Human race,

is my shepherd; He is a Person who protects, guides, and watches over us: His sheep.

I shall not want.
My every need is supplied. I am not lacking in anything that I require for life and happiness because of Him.

2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
In Him I find comfort and peace and rest to my soul; never worrying, neither anxious, nor fearful. He is near.

he leadeth me beside the still waters.
I am not alone in my daily walk; He himself leads me in paths of peace.

3. He restoreth my soul: Where once I was broken, wasted, and coming to rust; He came and made me new, whole, and useful.

he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Not only for my benefit, but with the vindication of Love's true nature throughout the Universe does He lead me on to righteousness.

4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
Though He might lead me through times of trouble, into difficult situations, and circumstances I may not understand...

I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me;
Wherever He leads, I can trust that He will see me through it all. I need not give in to doubt, confusion, or fear.

thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
His staff of protection is over me; His rod points me to where I should go. I need not fear the wolves.

5. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
Those who would do me harm are constrained by Him; they and others may look and see how He richly bless me.

thou anointest my head with oil;
He has called me to be His son: a prince, the child of the King, after His own heart.

my cup runneth over.
I could not measure the blessings wherewith He has blessed me. I have all I need, and am blessed to share them with others.

6. Surely goodness
His perfect will for my life, that is designed for the benefit of all...

and mercy His grace and forgiveness for where I have lacked...

shall follow me all the days of my life: These things are always with me through He who loves me with a Perfect Love.

and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
I will live my life in His presence, allowing Him to lead and trusting in His strength and wisdom always. In this, I may be satisfied for all of time.

Amen

No comments: